Learn how to apply CND Shellac Gel Nails at home from an experienced CND Education Ambassador, Michele Huynh. I got a lucky chance to see her do my nail with CND Shellac gel polish. And I'd like to share this information with our readers below in a simple step-by-step instructions that you can do at home.
Shellac Gel Nails Products
Basically what you need for doing Shellac at home are listed below. They are available at EsthersNC.com. It's recommended to use Shellac as a system to ensure the optimum result.
- CND Shellac Gel Base Coat
- CND Shellac Gel Top Coat
- CND Scrubfresh
- CND Shellac Gel Polish
- CND Shellac LED Lamp (the instruction below uses the new CND LED Lamp released in 2019, not the old version)
- 99% Alcohol or GelKleen Wipe Solution
- Lint-free Nail Wipes
- Cuticle Pusher or Stick
- Cuticle Oil
I noticed she used pump bottles to store her liquids so it's easier to dispense the right amount of liquid without the leak or mess. You can get those pump bottles at Esthersnc.com.
How To Apply Shellac Gel
1. File the edge of the nail with 240-grit nail file, to shape the nail. With CND Shellac, you would never file your nail bed so it's less damaging.
2. Push back and clean cuticles with a cuticle pusher and CND Cuticle Away. Follow the instruction on the Cuticle Away bottle. Notice that this is a dry manicure.
3. Cut any hang nails or cuticle if necessary with cuticle nipper.
4. Wipe clean nail with lint-free nail wipe soaked with CND Scrubfresh. It's important to use lint-free nail wipe and not cotton ball to avoid lints that stick to the nails.
5. Shake, shake vigorously the CND Shellac Base Coat so the ingredients mix well. If you're an avid user, it's a good idea to invest in a nail polish shaker.
6. Apply a thin coat of CND Shellac Gel Base Coat. The key to get a good result is to apply every layer thinly.
7. Apply to five nails and cure each hand for 10 seconds (preset button 1) in the new 2019 CND LED Lamp. Do not remove the top film layer after removing the nails from the lamp.
8. Apply a thin layer of CND Shellac nail polish to the nail plate and edge. If it's applied correctly, it will be slightly semi-sheer. In this case, I used Rock Royalty. Apply to five nails and cure each hand for one minute (preset button 2S) in the CND LED Lamp. Do not remove the top film after removing the nails from the lamp.
To clean the messy polish application on the cuticle or skin, just use the wood cuticle stick to wipe clean. Do it before curing the Shellac.
9. Apply another thin layer of CND Shellac nail polish. The second layer will provide additional coverage and color. And cure following step #8 above. Do not remove the top film after removing the nails from the lamp.
10. Apply a thin layer of CND Shellac Top Coat. Apply to five nails and cure each hand for one minute (preset button 3) in the CND LED Lamp.
11. Wipe clean the nail with lint-free nail wipe soaked with 99% Alcohol. It has to be 99% Alcohol. If less than 99% it won’t show the full shine. After wiping, the polish should be dry, hard and not tacky.
Note: This step not necessary for CND SHELLAC No-Wipe+ Top Coat.
12. Apply and massage CND Solar cuticle oil on nails. And here’s CND Shellac nail polish Rock Royalty.
Tips and Tricks
Below are some of her tips for your successful CND Shellac gel application at home:
- It’s not uncommon to hear customers complain about her nails getting dry after using CND Shellac. Michele suggests to use CND Solar Oil every day to combat this problem. If Solar Oil is used often, there shouldn’t be problem of dry or splitting nails.
- Shake, shake shellac gel polish or base/top coat to make sure the ingredients mix well.
- Her choice for French Manicure is Cream Puff or Studio White (an off-white) for the white tip and Clearly Pink and Romantique (more opaque) for the pink. Here’s her French Manicure with Studio White and Clearly Pink.
- Using less than 99% Alcohol won’t show the full shine of Shellac. Make sure when buying, you get only the 99% Alcohol.
- For customers with weak or splitting nails who want to use Shellac nail polish, she advices to use Brisa Gel as a foundation before using Shellac. The purpose is to strengthen the nails before applying Shellac.
CND Shellac Moonlight Roses over Asphalt. Michele was sporting this color.